Feeding during the different phases of therapeutic care
The nutritional condition of the patient is diagnosed for example during the diagnosis announcement consultation.
The dietician educates all patients about a high-calorie high-protein diet to have a satisfactory nutritional status at the time of the surgery and thus optimise healing.
He/she informs the patient and presents the post-operative feeding procedures:
– exclusive enteral nutrition for at least 10 days, explanation of this type of nutritional support
– immediately after a positive methylene blue-test: progressive resumption of oral feeding
If the patient presents protein-energy undernutrition and/or oral feeding difficulties, , the dietician:
– Provides advice to adjust the texture of food, if necessary
– And/or propose an oral nutritional supplement
– And/or asks the doctor to use enteral nutrition, most of the time via NGT